Periodontology is a branch of dentistry that deals with the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of periodontal disease that affects the gums and jawbone. Due to exceptional professional training, the dental specialists in Dental Clinic Dr. Saki are concerned about maintaining the health, aesthetics, and function of the jawbone and dental tissues of patients.
Periodontal disease is a progressive condition that begins with a mild inflammation of the gums called gingivitis. It is the main cause of tooth loss for people living in developed countries and it should be taken very seriously. Periodontal disease (often referred to as gum disease or “paradontosis”) is usually signaled by red, swollen, or bleeding gums, but in some cases, it has no visible symptoms.
Gum Disease Risk Factors:
- Poor oral hygiene
- Dental tartar build up
- Stress, anxiety, depression
- Genetic predispositions
- Puberty, pregnancy & menopause
- Drug treatments
- Diabetes mellitus
- Improper & unbalanced diet
- Excessive alcohol consumption
You may suffer from periodontal disease if:
- Your gums bleed when you brush or floss.
- Your gums are red and swollen.
- The bad breath persists.
- Your teeth seem to grow in length, sign that the gums are receding.
- There are spaces that appear between the teeth.
- You suffer from mouth infections or ulcers.